Saturday, February 13, 2010

Emotional Disability

As I got to know Sean more, he introduced me to the relm of possiblity of every person having a disablity of some sort. Disablities make life hard in some aspect for a person, and can come in a varaiety of ways (if that definition is wrong, feel free to correct me). Becuase of this, I've realized that i also have a disability, but wasnt quite sure what it was. I knew it had something to do with being social, since social things are hard for me. Never quite sure what it was exactly, I've gone through my life, looking for ways to increase my abilites with the general idea of having a disablility in being social. The other day, I realized that the disablity isnt in being social. It lies in the emotional range. My disability is my depression. My depression fills a large portion of my daily life, and allows certian things. It makes it so that I have a hard time doing social things. It makes it hard for me to get close to people (physically, emotionally, and mentally), it has helped me have a much more morbid side that many people don't know about. So now the trick is to learn abilites to go through life with this disability. What a trick that will be. Before my mission, I had learned some things that were good for me. How to be close to people physically and emotionally- which was a huge step, that ability is now gone, so I am now back to the beginning.
We all have disabilites, its just a matter of how we deal with them that matters, i suppose. So now its a matter of learning to cope with the disability each is given.

1 comment:

Sean said...

I would argue that we all have a form of disability just because we know from Scripture that God gives man weakness. But we also know that His grace is sufficient to all those that humbly accept their disability, shake off the natural man, and humble themselves before their God. Just like how little children can't do every thing, we can't do everything because of our disability and weakness. But little children have the ability to become submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, and willing to submit to all things which are inflicted upon them. Why can little children do this? Because they know that if they submit to someone more powerful than them, then eventually their burdens will be lighter. It is easier to for two people to carry a load (especially if the person next to you is 3000 times stronger), than it is for you just to carry your load.

I'm sorry you are starting back at square 1 with your emotional and mental comfort level, but please know that this isn't your cross to bear by yourself. There are others out there to help you, and moreover, there is one greater than all that can help you.