Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Possibe Dish-Strike

Every semester, I somehow end up with the same problem. I end up doing all the dishes in the aprtment all the time. I don't mind, in fact I actually like doing dishes; I find it to be theraputic. The only problem lies in the fact that if I have a busy week, and don't have time to do any dishes except for the ones I just used to make/eat a meal, then we end up with a sink full of dishes that just sit there for days on end. I was talking it over with a friend yesterday, and they suggested going on strike, and just not doing any dishes except for my own any more. one problem with that is that we just use each others dishes, so I cant exactly just do my dishes, because other people will just use the clean dishes, and not do any. I really don't mind doing dishes, and I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I just want to know if there is a way to un-do what I tend to do every semester (namely spoiling my roomates and doing all the dishes), and help my roomates learn responsibility in this small way.
Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Sean said...

By the time a child reaches 18 - if they have not learned to be responsible, you can't teach them. Their parents have simply failed them.

My only suggestion is to do what you can. Do your dishes and if time allows, do what else you feel needs to be done. I've been there and I've thought about keeping my dishes in my room or putting them under lock and ket in the kitchen or simply packing up my dishes and using only roommates dishes. Unfortnuately, none of this is helpful to you and the other roommates just won't notice and not care and so the only person really suffering is you. So once again - just do your stuff and then do what time permits for you. Teaching your roommates this late at life is just a lost cause.

Amy said...

I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!

Anonymous said...

Smash every plate in the place!

Anonymous said...

hi there Melinda, I just moved back in with my parents. I am struggling with getting them to pick up after themselves. YIKES! My brother is terrible about leaving stuff everywhere because , yep you probably guessed, my mother picks up after him. Anyway, so I started picking up only after myself and that is it. And when their frantic "cleaning" time came around because someone was coming over, I never helped. LOL It worked a little because now they realize how hard it is to do it all at once instead of as-you-go.
With roommates , have you tried having a schedule ? Maybe rotating basis?