Sunday, March 9, 2008

eloping

a lot of peoples i know have been getting married, are engaged, or are soon to be engaged. all of them have their weddings that they have been planning out. lucky me, i dont have to plan out my wedding, or even think about planning a wedding. ever. my dearest sister has it all planned out. but here's the thing. i dont want a wedding, and especially not like my sister has planned out for me. (the other fact being that i really doubt any guy is going to propose. it just doesnt seem to happen.) she's all into big ol' fany weddings, and she know's that i'm not. my dear sister has the colours chosen, the flowers (per my request, the only thing i've had a say in) chosen, and who's going to be there, and where it's going to be. but here's another thought. i'm much to chicken to tell my parents about any guy who might actually propose. mostly, because i dont see it ever happening, and seconly, because last time (last time? only time.) i told my mom i had a boyfriend, she was highly disaproving. would she be more approving if i told her that some guy had just proposed? somehow, i really doubt it. so, i've decided that if it ever were to happen, i would have to elope. i'll just send my parents a "hey, we got eloped. sorry i didnt tell you" note, that way, everyone is informed, and i get what i want too. i dont know, maybe its a rotton way to look at it, you can decide that for yourself. but, as for me, i think that's how it will have to be done. yep. its all planned out now. i can have my wedding just the way i want it, and everyone else will just have to like it. :)

12 comments:

Bonnie Jean said...

Just one small problem with that plan- you're not allowed to elope to the temple... you do have to get the recommends first, and bishops really don't like people eloping.

I am ignoring the "no one is ever going to propose" comment as I think you already know my opinions on that.

Mom just doesn't want her children to grow up. Remember how she reacted when I told her that Justin had proposed? Or when I told her that we were going steady? And not to mention the many lectures I got about how I should not have a boyfriend and get married because it would mean I wouldn't get to go to grad school... about how going to Germany to be a nanny for Rachel was more important because I would keep her active in the church... she is just highly disapproving of boyfriends in general, because reminds her that her daughters are eventually going to get married and will be living their own lives that she doesn't get any say in. (This is partly why Justin didn't bother doing the traditional asking permission before proposing thing.)

As for big wedding receptions- honestly, I don't think mine ended up really big and fancy (remember how upset mom was at how small I cut the invite list? And the fact that we kept it to just immediate family and one or two very close friends at the temple?)- and it was also planned out by our dearest wedding planner sister- she is willing to negotiate some... and if you don't like her ideas, fire her as a wedding planner and call me up and I'll be more than willing to see what I can help you come up with that is nice but not big and fancy. :) When the time comes, just keep telling yourself that the wedding reception is your celebration, not theirs, so it doesn't really matter whether or not mom or your older sister likes what the reception is like, so long as you do. :)

My apologies for the novel. I would just happen to like to be invited when you get married. :)

Anonymous said...

Which sister? Bonnie or the other one?

Melinda said...

BJ: just so's you know, i had been planning on talking to my bishop, and getting the recommends and everything and going to the temple, just not with anyone else there. it would have to be while i'm at schoo. there is a temple nice and handy there now, you know? :)

SG: its actually amy sue. the one that never seems to be remembered by anyone. :)

Sean said...

Amy Sue....the one who gave birth to Rachel?

RE BJ's comment: My bishop told me that considering my family situation...eloping to a temple was fine. He'd rather see me get married in a temple (eloping) than to see me get married somewhere else.

Sean said...

by the way...that temple near school is reported to be booked through September....

Melinda said...

i'm not going to be around (hope hope) for a couple years yet. so it doesnt matter much if that temple is booked till september. but its good to keep in mind.

amy sue- the middle child who did not give birth to rachel and dante. she's the big planner of the family, and likes to do everyone's weddings, among other things

Sean said...

It's not hope hope at this point. the papers are in Salt Lake. You are as good as gone.
The comment was more directed at how hard it would be to elope to that particular temple.

There's a third sibling? When did that happen?

Melinda said...

she happened about 8 years before me, as opposed to 10 or 5 years before me.

Sean said...

BJ is the 5 year one, right?
Rachel's mom is the 10 year, right?

Melinda said...

that would be right, yes. bonjean is 5ish years older than me, and jen is 10.

Anonymous said...

And I'm just over 8 years older than you.

Melinda said...

that would be correct, yes. so you would be about amy sue's age.